A Handy Cockroach Control Guide For Houston Property Owners
October 15, 2020 - Cockroaches
Guide To Houston Cockroaches
The first step in prevention is knowing what cockroaches look like. There are a few common species of cockroaches in the area, and this quick overview can help you tell them apart.
This species ranges in color from tan to dark brown, but the easiest way to identify them is the two dark, parallel stripes that run behind their heads.
These are among the most common and also the biggest cockroaches found in the area. They are reddish-brown and can be up to three inches long.
Commonly known as the black beetle, this small species is jet black with a beetle-like appearance.
This is another small cockroach species that is a light brown color with dark brown markings on their wings.
How To Get Started With Cockroach Prevention
Because cockroaches are dangerous, you can start today and take steps to keep them out of your property. Overall, it’s important to understand that cockroaches love clutter. So, starting with deep cleaning and de-cluttering is an easy way to make your home or business less attractive to these dirty pests.
Here are some tips to help you clean in a way that will deter cockroaches:
- Clean forgotten places like under appliances and in the backs of cupboards.
- Make sure to store food in airtight containers when possible.
- Roaches can even survive off small food crumbs, so clean up any food or drink spills immediately.
- Regularly take out the trash.
- Keep drains and sinks cleaned.
- Wash your dishes frequently.
- Sweep and mop often.
Six More Cockroach Prevention Tips
After taking steps to reduce underlying issues that make your home hospitable to cockroaches, you should seal up entry points around your house. By reducing or eliminating access points, you can keep cockroaches from coming inside.
Here are some of the best ways to do so:
1. Place weatherstripping around doors and windows.
2. Install door sweeps.
3. Replace any broken screens.
4. Make sure that doors fit tightly in their frames.
5. Seal up any cracks or crevices in walls.
6. Try to fix cracks or holes in your home’s foundation.
The Best Thing To Do When You See Cockroaches
While you can take important steps to prevent cockroaches on your own, you could still end up with a cockroach infestation. The safest and most effective way to prevent cockroaches and to eliminate any current infestations is to contact the pest control professionals at TNT Home & Commercial Services. With over 20 years of experience, we can keep your Houston property free of these dangerous pests. Get started today by requesting a free inspection online or over the phone.